Thursday, January 03, 2008

Welcoming Two-Thousand and Eight

I don't normally treat the New Year as a deeply introspective time. I have enough "real" events in my life occuring on a regular basis such that I have ample opportunity all year round for deeply instrospective thinking. This means that I don't normally make resolutions or join a gym in the first week of January. This year, however, a lot of the events occuring seemed to coincide nicely with the New Year and all it symbolizes.

As I said, I won't be joining any gyms this month. But I will be liberating my own fitness equipment. I will now have the space to use it properly and safely. And I'll no doubt set some lofty fitness goals and then attack them. Exercise is addictive, and exercise at home is a wonderful luxury.

Christmas with friends in my own home. That was cool! Spending my New Year's hangover time painting newly purchased furniture. That was cool! Scrubbing, by hand, the floor of my new room to make it more mine. Cool. And this coming Sunday's New Years dive... well that'll just be f'ing cold. And very cool.

But that is what is happening. The bigger question is what will happen? What will 2008 bring, what do I want from it, and how can I steer things to make my goals happen?

I honestly don't know the full answers to any of those. But I have a feeling, deep inside, below the hangover and lunch-time hunger, that's telling me I'm already on track. What ever 2008 holds I think it's going to be a nice year. May it be good to you also!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got 2008 off to a nice "clean" start.

I Dive At Night said...

Quilly, I wish! As soon as the dust stopped flying, I pulled out sandpaper and then started painting. The sanding was outside, but at -2C out there the painting has to be done inside.

Deb Rox said...

I like the idea that the introspection of New Years should happen year-round...and the celebratory feeling too! Happy New Year, Night Diver

I Dive At Night said...

Hi Deb, thanks. I can't help it, I think too much... most of the year. Keep celebrating!

Minka said...

Morgan, it is you. Of course 2008 will be great. All my best wishes for it. Don't scuba dive in too cold water though... no point pushing one´s luck!

I Dive At Night said...

Minka, I promise not to dive in fresh water colder than 0C.

I truly hope 2008 will be great!