Wednesday, December 05, 2007

B'rer Rabbit and the Briar Patch

It's been a long time since I've read/heard the story of B'rer Rabbit and the Briar Patch. My Dad loves the story and even has a sign above his garage com carpentry workshop that proclaims his retirement haven to be "The Briar Patch". The important idea being, that B'rer Rabbit convinces his antagonists to banish him to the horrible brier patch (full of thorns and branches) which was actually his home and the place he is happiest.

I had a meeting yesterday to discuss my work since starting this job and to make plans for my future work. And what strikes me most afterwards is that I think they just threw me into my own briar patch.

Amongst other things, a new priority for me is to ... write a book. We're sorrowfully lacking in proper documentation for our rather complicated products. While there is a part of the company that writes training materials and documentation, they're a bit behind. So we're going to bypass the system and do it ourselves. And who should get "stuck" with the difficulties of writing and organizing? Hehe, it's me! I've got a green light to spend my days writing.

At the same time, they want to expand the scope of my other work. So suddenly I'm looking at a couple of winter (December/January?) trips to Florida and Sao Paulo Brazil. Any guesses what I'll be doing there when not working??? (Hint: bubble, bubble)

No no, please, not the briar patch!

5 comments:

Becky said...

It's B'rer Rabbit who goes into the briar patch. Peter Rabbit visits Mr. McGregors' garden, almsot gets shot and is put to bed with camomile tea.
But very slick of you to manage this. The rule for instructional writing is that an aboslute novie to the topic can successfully navigate when they're done reading. You're much better off over than under instructing. And where better to escape A'Dam in Feb. than Brazil.
Becky

I Dive At Night said...

Thanks Becky, the names have been change to reinstate accuracy. I knew I should have Wiki'd first.

Mother Theresa said...

Brazil doesn't sound like such a bad briar patch. ;)

Minka said...

bubble, bubble???
*ponders*

you are gonna have a soap-bubble party!

I Dive At Night said...

That wasn't the thought, but now that I picture it... wow, good idea!