Saturday, January 12, 2008

Water!

There's an old line associated with sailors lost at sea. "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink." Today my apartment felt a bit like a dry island far out at sea. I awoke to find no water. At least not any water in the pipes. Outside it was pouring down rain, and at the foot of the apartment block there was an obvious "leak". A small river flowing out to the street.

So the water was all around. And there was not a drop to drink. Save for the option of facing the sky with your mouth open. But that wasn't going to get the coffee made!

Truly, the morning was saved by the 2L of water in the fridge. 1.5L of which went into the first two pots of coffee.

The water is back. Hot and cold. I can cook and clean and carry on with the day. But it's fun to be reminded, right when you think you have your life in control, that some parts of it never can be.

--- Update ---

And it's gone again. I think my water company has been taking lessons from the cable company.

--- Updated Update ---

Okay it's back. The work day was ending so whatever the problem, fixed or not, they've at least turned the water on for the night. Just showered and barely have time for groceries before meeting friends. Doh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morgan -- perhaps the cable and water companies can synchronize so you have cable and water on alternate hours ....

I Dive At Night said...

Quilly -- what happened to the good old fashioned standard of water every day? I can take 360 days of cable for every 365 days of water. 2008 is a 366 day year... I hope we're done.

Minka said...

maybe they have a third cousin, have you checked your heaters yet?

I don't think I could go a day without water...