Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I'm Paid to Not Know

Some days I feel like they pay me to live in ignorance. I never know in advance what's about to happen. This, in particular, applies to my travel plans. The trip to Denmark that didn't happen in February and didn't happen in March has long been scheduled for next week. Yet I still don't know if it's going to happen. I have no arrangements or plane tickets, even though I've spent weeks reminding others of their roles in the process.

It's like working on-call. But not. I'm not paid to carry a pager or accept 2am calls. Yet 6am flights (meaning waking up at 2am) with just days notice seems to be the norm.

This is part of the reason I strive for more stability in my personal life. What's troublesome is that as I work to that, life is actually becoming less stable. Far less stable. But interesting!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you're paid. OC is still waiting for his first paycheck from the college. When they get all the protocols and grants sorted out and finally pay him, he'll likely be retirement age, but at least he'll have a tidy retirement fund ....

I Dive At Night said...

Quilly, when you two first discussed the idea of moving to paradise, did OC forget to mention that you'd be buying?

Charline said...

They say "Ignorance is Bliss" !

I Dive At Night said...

Then bliss is very stressful.

But as the latest post says, the tickets are now finalized (I think) so I'm feeling less ignorant. And less stressed.